Remediation & Technologies
Alexco owns six patents and has additional US patents allowed and pending for the in-situ use of nutrients in earthen materials. Our technologies and patents provide in-situ encapsulation technologies whereby soluble toxic metals including arsenic, zinc, selenium, and nitrate are geochemically encapsulated by more benign minerals within the groundwater aquifer or within and downgradient of sources of contamination. These remediation technologies extend to pit lakes, underground mine pools, tailings impoundments, heap leach pads, or waste storage areas.
Alexco technologies have been successfully applied to numerous sites and locations and we are the industry leaders in remediating pit lakes and underground mine pools. Our treatment technologies and professionals have successfully treated billion gallon pit lakes for contaminants including selenium, zinc, uranium, and nitrate. They demonstrate successful remediation for contaminants, avoid long-term conventional capture/pump and treat approaches while at the same time, unlocking property value and development opportunities that were previously restrained with environmental liability.
- Patent 5,710,361: “In-Situ Treatment of Waste Stacks, Soils, or Earth Materials to Immobilize Metals Contained Therein”
- Patent 6,196,765: “Inhibiting Acid Mine Drainage by Displacing Oxygen in Rock Heap”
- Patent 5,632,715: “In-Situ Immobilization of Metals in Waste Stacks and Waste Stack Affected Zones”
- Patent 6,350,380: “In-Situ Immobilization of Metals in Density-Variant Water Bodies”
- Patent 6,435,769: “Gas Phase Modifications”…to inhibit acid rock drainage and to treat potentially mobile contaminants
- Patent 7,011,756: “In-Situ Immobilization of Heavy Metals in Density-Variety Water Bodies” Pit Lakes and Underground Mine Pools
For more information contact:
Jim Harrington- VP Business and Strategic Development (303)-862-3929